There’s nothing like a festive cocktail to put you in the holiday spirit! When some people think of the holiday season, colder weather, warm fireplaces, and beautifully decorated Christmas trees come to mind. Others think of spending time with friends and family by hosting holiday gatherings and parties. The best part about these recipes is that they are perfect for doing either of these! Snuggle up by the fire and enjoy the comfort of a cinnamon and nutmeg eggnog, or prepare a vibrant peppermint martini to pair with appetizers for your guests. However you spend your holidays, you’ll want to include these cocktails in your plans!
Homemade Eggnog – Recipe by the Novice Chef
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus a little for garnish if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups spiced rum (or bourbon), optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine milk, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg. Slowly bring milk mixture to a boil.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Whisk together until fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Whisk until light and pale in color, about 2-3 minutes.
- Begin by adding a very small amount of the heated milk mixture to the eggs, whisking constantly to temper the eggs. Do not add the hot milk too quickly or it will cook the eggs.
- Continue adding small amounts of the milk to the eggs, whisking constantly until all the milk is incorporated and well combined.
- Return to sauce and cook over medium heat until slightly thick and mixture coats the back of a spoon, about 3 to 5 minutes. Do not let mixture boil.
- Remove from heat and strain out cloves.
- Let mixture cool for one hour, then whisk in heavy cream, vanilla extract and spiced rum. Chill for several hours, or overnight, before serving.
Peppermint Martini – Recipe by a Couple Cooks
- 1 ounce* peppermint schnapps (or white Creme de Menthe)
- ½ ounce vodka
- 1 ½ ounces Creme de Cacao
- 1 ½ ounces heavy cream
- Peppermint candies and grenadine, for the rim (optional)
- Prepare the rim: Crush the peppermint candies and place them in an even layer on a plate. On another plate, add a small pool of grenadine, or simply wet the rim of the glass with water using your finger (grenadine is easiest and works best). Run the rim of a martini glass in the grenadine first, rotating the glass so the rim is evenly coated. Then roll the rim in the crushed candies until evenly coated.
Shake the drink: Place the peppermint schnapps, vodka, Creme de Cacao, and heavy cream in a cocktail shaker. Add a handful of ice and shake until cold. Strain the drink into the prepared martini glass.